Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Anomaly (Schrodinger's Consortium #1) by Tonya Kuper

* * * *

Reality is only an illusion.

Except for those who can control it…

Worst. Birthday. Ever.

My first boyfriend dumped me – happy birthday, Josie!- my dad is who knows where, I have some weird virus that makes me want to hurl, and now my ex is licking another girl’s tonsils. Oh, and I’m officially the same age as my brother was when he died. Yeah, today is about as fun-filled as the swamps of Dagobah. But then weird things start happening…

Like I make something materialize just by thinking about it.

When hot badass Reid Wentworth shows up on a motorcycle, everything changes. Like, everything. Who I am. My family. What really happened to my brother. Existence. I am Oculi, and I have the ability to change reality with my thoughts. Now Reid, in all his hotness, is charged with guiding and protecting me as I begin learning how to bend reality. And he’s the only thing standing between me and the secret organization that wants me dead…


Anomaly carries a lot of charm in its pages starting with our spunky heroine Josie who isn’t as self-conscious as other heroines I’ve come across. She doesn’t waste time picking apart her appearance or comparing herself to her best friend. Instead, she's a conscientious high school student who also happens to be a bit obsessed with sci-fi shows, DC and Marvel Comics and good old Sherlock himself, Benedict Cumberbatch. I like her! She's not easily perturbed, that is until some guy shows up to school one day, looking very much like the one she's dreamed up in her head, right down to the tattoo and the slight resemblance to Thor. Hey, I’m all over that!

Josie’s world is thrown into chaos on her birthday, not so much from being dumped by her boyfriend but more so by her mysterious ailments. Reid, super-hottie-Thor-look-alike, offers immediate answers. This I liked because I tend to get irritated when the hero or heroine is kept in the dark for too long about their fate. It's a lot to absorb but she's strong AND smart enough to handle the truth. Josie's constantly assessing the facts, deciding on how she should address the situation. The gravity of the responsibility that now rests upon her is overwhelming but she’s determined to handle it. No one treats her as a weakling and Reid balances a fine line between being protector and teacher.

Anomaly is a sweet thrill ride once the action gets going. Josie takes to her powers well and learns quickly. She struggles to keep her feelings for Reid in check, as does he. Her family's history and their place in the Oculi world is enough of a puzzle to keep her on task. Once again we’re shown how courageous she can be even when faced with the impossible because she will protect those she loves.

I enjoyed Anomaly a lot. It's hard not to like Josie especially since Kuper injects plenty of her own fun, geeky, sci-fi loving personality into her. Josie does try to live as normal a life as possible by keeping close to her friends as much as she can - a bittersweet reminder that she's a teenager who happens to have a ridiculous weight on her shoulders. Things are left in a precarious state by the end but not before witnessing the strength of Josie's conviction to the cause and to her family. Oh you know it's only going to get even better from here! Looking forward to book two, Tonya!

~ Bel
  
By the way, don't forget to check out the Anomaly Giveaway! There are 4 prize packs up for grabs - you could be a winner! 

2 comments:

  1. Aw! Thank you so much for reading and reviewing it, Bel!!!! Happy to hear you enjoyed it!! The Bibliojunkies have been absolutely amazing in supporting me, a debut author, and I'll never be able to fully express my gratitude. <3

    ReplyDelete