Friday, November 6, 2015

Unsung by Shannon Richard

Unsung (Country Roads, #5)***

One Night In Nashville

Harper Laurence has been jilted on her way to the altar. Desperate for some time away from her friends and family, Harper takes off for Nashville—only to meet a hot, scruffy, tattooed stranger. A man she liked a little too much, and who left her the teeniest bit . . . well, pregnant.

Liam James is an up-and-coming country musician, who just found his muse. Ever since their weekend together, Liam hasn't been able to forget the curvy, vivacious woman who left him wanting more, even as she inspired some of the greatest songs he's ever written. He's determined to convince Harper that he's the guy for her . . . and that the best love songs can never be unsung.










Review:

The above summary sets this story up perfectly.  Two people fall instantly fall in love but have to fight to make their relationship work.   They have quite a few obstacles to overcome.  The fact that they still don’t really know each other, an unexpected pregnancy, Liam’s rising fame, and some cruel people that will say or do anything to make their life a living hell.

I’ve always enjoyed Harper’s role in previous books.  She’s strong and super independent.  So to watch her experience a point in her life that is super emotional in a way that she can’t always control made me feel for her.   She’s still recovering from a horrible breakup when she meets Liam.  When she runs away I totally got it.  She might feel a connection but she was hurt so badly and so recently that putting her heart out there again so fast and so soon is too much to even consider.  Add an unplanned pregnancy to the mix and a famous boyfriend that the tabloids love and I just wanted to give the poor girl a hug and take care of her myself.

As for Liam, I could really get behind his “all in” attitude.  There is no doubt in his mind that Harper is THE ONE.  She is it and he is in it for the long haul.  No questions asked.  And he proves that he is committed over and over again.  Kind of hard to not fall for a hero like that. 

But, as much as I enjoyed these characters individually, I was not completely sold on their romance.  I’m a slow burn sort of girl.  It takes a lot to sell love at first sight to me.  A LOT.  So I’ll just put it out there now that that is the reason I didn’t love Unsung as much as I have loved the other books in this series.  Don’t get me wrong.  I enjoyed it.  I couldn’t put it down which attests to Richard’s excellent writing.  But I often felt just a little too unsure about the stability of their relationship to ever get attached to Harper and Liam as a couple.

But, if you are a fan of insta-love or love at first sight in addition to sexy country singing heroes and loveable independent heroines then you will very likely love the latest in what has become one of my favorite contemporary romance series. 


Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment